Saturday, August 11, 2007

Birth Place: Normandy, France
Parents: Louis and Zelie Martin
Siblings: 4 other sisters
Religious Order: Carmelite Nun
Born: 1873
Died: September 30, 1897
Writings By The Little Flower: Story of a Soul, The Letters of St. Therese
Proclaimed a saint by Pope Pius XI in 1925
THERESE OF LISIEUX (1873-1897) was born Therese Martin in Normandy, France. She entered the Carmel of Lisieux at the age of fifteen. At that time the notion that God's anger on account of sin must be appeased by voluntary self-offering was prevalent in the Church. Instead within nine years Therese achieved holiness through her grasp of the central Gospel truth of God's merciful saving love for everyone without exception. Her short autobiography was written at the request of others and revealed her strong desire that all should know this truth and respond in trust no matter what their condition, sinner or saint. Her teaching has rescued convicted criminals, alcoholics and other addicts from despair as well as pointing out the simple way of trust to countless Christians.
St Therese showed her love to Jesus by walking the way of perfection in the small things of everyday life: "Love proves itself by deeds, so how am I to show my love? Great deeds are forbidden me. The only way I can prove my love is by scattering flowers and these flowers are every little sacrifice, every glance and word, and the doing of the least actions for love."
She is the patron saint of missionaries and in 1997 was declared a Doctor (that is, an official teacher) of the Church. She is one of the most popular and best loved of all the saints. Her feast day is 1 October
For more information on St. Therese of the Child Jesus, you can refer to Carmelites 20-40.

Story of a Soul can be found at our Katong Catholic Bookstore. It cost about $37 but the book is worth the money.
Extracts from the book which I found very inspiring:
"There is in the Community a Sister who has the faculty of displeasing me in everything, in her ways, her words, her character, everything seems very disagreeable to me. And still, she is a holy religious who must be very pleasing to God. Not wishing to give in to the natural antipathy I was experiencing, I told myself that charity must not consist in feelings but in works; then I set myself to doing for this Sister what I would do for the person I loved the most. Each time I met her I prayed to God for her, offering Him all her virtues and merits. I felt this was pleasing to Jesus, for there is no artist who doesn't love to receive praise for his works, and Jesus, the Artist of souls, is happy when we do not stop at the exterior, but, penetrating into the inner sanctuary where He chooses to dwell, we admire its beauty. I wasn't content simply with praying very much for this Sister who gave me so many struggles, but I took care to render her all the services possible, and when I was tempted to answer her back in a disagreeable manner, I was content with giving her my most friendly smile, and changing the subject of the conversation, for the Imitation says: "It is better to leave each one in his own opinion than to enter into arguments."
Frequently, when I was at recreation (I mean during the work periods) and had the occasion to work with this Sister, I used to run away like a deserter whenever my struggles became too violent. As she was absolutely unaware of my feelings for her, never did she suspect the motives for my conduct and she remained convinced that her character was very pleasing to me. One day at recreation, she asked in almost these words: "Would you tell me, Sister Therese of the Child Jesus, what attracts you so much to me; every time you look at me, I see you smile?" Ah! what attracted me was Jesus hidden in the depths of her soul; Jesus who makes sweet what is most bitter. I answered that I was smiling because I was happy to see her (it is understood that I did not add that this was from a spirtual standpoint)."
Good news comes in many shapes and sizes.
For 18 year-old Carl: "Dad, Mom, I got it! I got my driving license! May I take the car and visit Sandy?"
For 12 year-old Simon: "We won! We won! Hey, everybody, our team's going to the playoffs!"
For 27 year-old Debbie: "Oh, Dad, Lyle's asked me to marry him! That's why he came to talk to you last night, isn't it?"
For 6 year-old Gwen: "Grandma, the baby's here! I've got a little brother!"
For hard-working Mr. Shaw: "Sweetheart, wear your best dress tonight. I got a promotion and we're celebrating!"
Good news is something special. It's exclamation points and cheers, bells, and brass bands. It's an exciting, memorable event that brings you joy and makes a change in your life.
Sometimes good news for one person is bad news for another. When a teen gets a driving license, that's good news. When Dad gets the bill for the insurance, that's bad news. But one piece of good news is good news for everyone. It's the fact that Jesus has paid for sin and made it possible for us to live with God forever. It's the message that changes lives.
**************************
The taxicab roared, as it passed car after car in the rushing five o'clock traffic.
"Hurry," panted Mrs. Fredrick. "I've got to make that plane."
She shouldn't have shopped so long; she should have watched the time more carefully. But she had forgotten about time; that was all. As the cabdriver stepped down on the accelerator, Mrs. Fredrick sat on the edge of the seat, biting her fingernails. The driver was probably going as fast as he could, but in this traffic, it seemed that he was only crawling. And, of course, he had to hit every light red!
When they finally arrived at the airport, Mrs. Fredrick jumped out, giving the cabdriver a five-dollar bill, which more than covered the trip.
"Keep the change," she called. "I don't have the time to wait."
Entering the building, she rushed up to the man at the desk. "Has flight 805 gone yet?" she asked breathlessly.
The man behind the desk looked at his flight schedule information. "Ma'am," he said slowly, "that flight will be five hours late.",/p>
Mrs. Fredrick slumped down on the seat and heaved a sigh of disgust. Five hours late!
She had worried and stewed and rushed, and had even given the cabdriver a much bigger tip than she would have under ordinary circumstances. And all because she had failed to do one thing - call the airport to see if the plane was on time.
Christians sometimes live in a rush-and-worry world. They take all the problems, especially the things that have not yet happened, and try to worry them through. Then, when they are out of breath, worked up, and almost sick with concern, they remember that they should have consulted the Lord.
He always has the answer. He can always show you what to do, whether it is schoolwork or things at home. So go to Him first.
God's help and blessings I forget.
**************************
Dennis considered himself to be a little above average. He wasn't a top-notch student, but he wasn't the worst either. When it came to history, he could have been much better; when it came to math, he could have improved himself. His English wasn't the best, but there was one thing he excelled in - a bragging tongue.
"I was the best forward they had in the whole school last year," he boasted to some of the newer fellows on the basketball team. The other boys said nothing but looked significantly at one another.
When the coach came to give the players some pointers, Dennis whirled around in disgust. As soon as the coach was out of distance, he mumbled to one of the fellows, "What's he think I am, an amateur?"
It was the same when his parents tried to correct him on anything. "Why do you always treat me like a child?" he would demand. Sometimes after he had snapped at them in that way, he could almost hear them thinking, Because that's what you are. But Dennis still gave the impression that he was up on everything, and nobody could tell him anything.
This is sometimes true of Christian young people today - and older people too. Somehow, we have the idea that we have arrived; that we have made the grade; that we've hit the top. No one can tell us anything. We know it all.
When we feel this way, we have missed one of the important fruits of the Spirit - meekness.
We need to follow the advice of the Bible and pray that God will help us to overcome a bragging, know-it-all attitude. We need to ask Him for a meek, loving, sincere spirit, which is becoming to a Christian.
What kind of testimony do you leave with your friends? What is their impression of Christ - through you?
I hope no one will ever see.
**************************
Carol was one of the best-liked girls in the whole school. She seemed sincerely interested in everyone and always tried to be of help. Some people didn't really know what made Carol so different, but her closest friends knew it was because she was a sincere Christian.
Even those who were not Christians seemed to respect Carol. Whenever there was some discussion about things to do, they went to Carol because they trusted her judgment so completely.
It was when a girl from a foreign country moved to town that Carol's colors really began to show. The girl had been brought over by an American serviceman and his wife several years before. They had lived in many cities but had now settled here permanently. The first thing Carol noticed was that some other girls did not seem to take to Ling. Carol mentioned it to some of them.
"Well." said one of the girls, "Ling is different than we are. She doesn't really fit into our school program."
"Fit in?" Carol questioned. "What do you mean?"
"Well, let's face it," said the girl. "She's a foreigner."
Ling heard what the other girl said and felt she could not trust anyone in class again. That is until Carol befriended her.
"Why do you take time to be with me?" Ling asked one day. "The others do everything they can to avoid me."
Quietly, but pointedly, Carol told of the love of Christ and how she had trusted Him as her Saviour. "He cares ," she finished, "and I care."
Christian young people need to learn to be more thoughtful. We should reflect the love of Christ to those who find it difficult to make friends. Christ showed love even to His enemies. Do you?
Of caring for another's soul.
WHEN? 7th July 2007
WHERE? Singapore Expo
|
|
God's Love Letters!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home